Tim Travels To Masoyi, South Africa, '07

For 3 weeks, I will be in South Africa helping an orphan aid organization with urgent construction. Here unfolds the next chapter of my life. Won't you join me?

 
11.05.2007
YAH, DAS GUTE!
For the second time in three weeks, our team worshipped at Sunrise City Church. Having visited a couple of traditional black churches, the loud music and vibrant dancing no longer frightened us. In fact, most of the team got into grooving with the music, the many occassions where we were to greet those sitting nearby, and the pastor who was shouting more than he was speaking. The pastor was definitely passionate, even when he wasn't the one speaking. Typically, the congregation would acknowledge what they heard with a hearty AMEN! The pastor would acknowledge by saying "Yah, das gute!" (Yes, that's good!). It's actually very catchy so, all day, each team member would randomly holler out their own "yah, das gute!". The best came when our team leader yelled it out during tonight's grace, causing us to all laugh!

It was dark and we had just come back from a long day. The electric gate was not working so one of the passengers has to get out of the car and slide it open. I happened to be sitting in the shotgun position so I got out. I tried the gate but it didn't budge. Thinking that the gate had been fixed, I returned to the car to get the key fob. As I got near, I heard everyone shout at me "the other way!". I turned around, went back to the gate and tried again. The gate still didn't budge. All I heard next was a car full of laughter. The driver rolled down his window: "Tim, the other other way."

Yah, das gute!
posted @ 05:45  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

Name: Tim Chan
Home: Calgary, Canada
Email: duffshot at gmail dot com

Itinerary

  • 10.18 - Depart Calgary

  • 10.19 - Pass Through London

  • 10.20 - Arrive Johannesburg

  • 10.20 - Arrive Masoyi - Africa School of Missions

  • 11.8 - Debrief at Ingwe Game Reserve

  • 11.11 - Depart Johannesburg

  • 11.12 - Pass Through Frankfurt

  • 11.12 - Arrive Calgary

Map of Masoyi

Current Weather in Masoyi

 

    If you are interested in being a part of this journey by contributing financially, and you have a PayPal account, please click on the button. All donations are tax deductible, so please indicate your mailing address. If you don't have a PayPal account, send me an email (addy above) or leave a comment. Regardless of the amount of donations received, I will be going!

Links

Pre Africa Team Retreat
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from duffshot00. Make your own badge here.

Trip Pictures